|FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Mike Lessiter, email@example.com
June 9, 2003 800/537-4237 x 213
In order to provide vital benchmark information for U.S. metalcasters, the 2003 Metalcasting Operational Cost Survey was commissioned by the American Foundry Society (AFS) and the North American Die Casting Assn. (NADCA) and conducted confidentially by Sapolsky Research, Inc. of Tallahassee, Florida. Surveys were distributed to U.S. metalcasting operations in March 2003 to complete based on their most recently completed fiscal year.
More than 125 companies participated in the survey and the results were combined for the entire industry as well as broken down by metal type, process type, employment size and sales dollars. The sales of the participants amounted to approximately $2.05 billion and covered 16,074 employees.
The results of this report, which cover more than 30 individual expense categories, revealed that the operating profit for the average metal casting company was less than 2%. A total of 62% reported a profit, with the remaining 38% participants reporting a loss. The average expenses for all the major areas of metalcasting operations, as a % of sales for both profitable and unprofitable firms, can be seen in this report.
As a service to the membership, customized reports were prepared for each survey participant that was a member of either the AFS or NADCA. The results of the survey are detailed in a report available for purchase by contacting one of the following organizations.
American Foundry Society
505 State Street
Des Plaines, Illinois 60016-8399
800/537-4237 * 847/824-0181 * Fax: 847/824-7848
North American Die Casting Assn.
9701 West Higgins Rd., Suite 880
Rosemont, Illinois 60018-4721
847/292-3600 * Fax: 847/292-3620